Sunday, April 12, 2020

All the media consumption

Pic of the week 



It's been rainy this week, but the sun came back out yesterday, and what with this weekend being a holiday and my birthday, I decided to get out of the house for a drive.  This is a shot from the side of the road by Leo Carillo State Beach in Malibu, which is normally an awesome place to go check out tide pools, but all beaches in Southern California are currently closed, so I just had to enjoy the view from the roadside.  Plus it was a fun drive and nice to get out of the house and get some fresh air for a couple of hours.

Quote of the week

"May 15."
LA county extended our stay-at-home order until the middle of May.  And apparently you will soon be cited for not wearing a face mask in public.

What's going on?

It's my birthday!  I'm 37 today.  At this age my parents had 4 kids - two of whom were teenagers - and moved us all to Richfield.  I, on the other hand, have plants that are several months old, and just moved one of those plants from the floor to a plant stand.  Now, you tell me who accomplished more with those 37 years.

Breezy week.  Not much going on, honestly.  Some movie nights with friends, puzzling, reading, sewing masks, and generally trying to keep spirits up.

What I'm watching


I don't know that this documentary is changing anyone's mind about anything, but I found it insightful and humanizing of one of America's most polarizing political figures.

What I'm reading


This was kind of a...cute?...murder mystery.  Don't know that it's a must-read, but it was fun.


What I'm listening to

This episode of Hidden Brain, which essentially talks about the difference between rule-following vs. free-flowing cultures.  I love insights like this that help to provide perspective for systems and beliefs that I don't necessarily agree with.  Helps to build empathy.  

And this episode of Brene Brown's new podcast.  This episode specifically talks about grief in a really interesting and helpful way.  Especially relevant as we seem to be experiencing some collective grief at the moment.

What I'm cooking


Carrot apple salad. Or slaw.  It's all the same.  I used this recipe as the base, but adapted it based on what I had available. I got a BUNCH of carrots in my produce box this week and they usually go to waste because I don't eat a lot of carrots, but I didn't want that to happen, so here we are.  I substituted the craisins for sunflower seeds, and put some turmeric and chili pepper powder in the mayo.  I used this slaw to top some crispy tofu tacos and it was honestly heavenly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment