Sunday, July 12, 2020

That bath was the bomb.

Pic of the week 


I am plant-sitting for a friend while she's out of town, and she has a bathtub that will fit me - a full-grown, but average-sized man - which is harder to find than you might think. So I took full advantage of that - bath bomb and all.  It was glorious.  I might even do it again.
 
What's going on?

It's been a couple of weeks!  I'm not always good about the weekly check-in when I'm out of town.

Happy 4th of July, y'all.  This was an odd year for patriotic celebration, I have to admit.  We're grappling with a lot as a country right now, and I think it felt a little...disingenuous?...to say, "Yay America!"  But I keep thinking about the idea that we live in a country where hard conversations can happen and change is possible and where we're allowed to fight for something better, so even though we're deep in the fight - and perhaps BECAUSE we're deep in that fight - I still think there is reason to celebrate.  

I tested negative for COVID again, which means that I didn't pick it up on a plane or in an airport on the way to Utah or a 4th of July parade or a family BBQ.  My roommate is relieved.  I was perhaps a tad irresponsible in my social distancing practices while in Utah, but now that I'm home, it's back to leaving my apartment only for exercise and grocery store trips.  *sigh*

I had a GREAT time in Utah.  It was so nice to spend time with so many people I love (mostly in a socially distant way).  Good conversations, too many treats, fireworks, so many laughs, more treats, and even a 5k!

Now I would like a vacation to somewhere tropical, with beaches and frosty drinks and cabana boys and sun.

What I'm watching


Finally got around to watching this.  Great show.  While Lin-Manuel Miranda is a straight-up genius storyteller, writer, and musician, I would like to see this show A - live, and B - starring someone with more acting/signing chops.  Don't get me wrong, ol' LMM was fine, just clearly not the most skilled performer on the stage.  Anyway, I think pieces of art like this are important for starting conversations and sparking an interest in history and telling powerful stories through unconventional lenses.  More of this, please.

What I'm reading


Took a little break from anti-racism because I got a "skip-the-line" copy of this gem from the library and had to read it real quick. Fascinating look at the importance of hard work and discipline.  It's sparked some internal conversations for me about how to get back some of that drive that I once had.  Unmet life expectations mixed with a global pandemic have left me feeling a bit melancholy and listless of late.  But reading through this has given me a little hope.  

What I'm listening to


GREAT podcast from the New York Times.  It's only 5 episodes long, but gives some amazing context to the moment we're living in.  Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment