Sunday, April 28, 2019

Vol 2 Issue 6

Pic of the week 

You probably saw this already, but in case you didn't - my bike was stolen.  Yup.  My brand new bike that I've ridden a total of about 4 times.  It was locked up securely in my apartment's parking garage.  Which you can't see from the street.  And as you can see in the photo, my top-of-the-line lock was entirely insufficient.  Things I learned: 1 - Don't leave your bike locked up outside for an extended period of time.  2 - Write down the serial number and register your bike immediately.  3 - The company that makes my lock has a guarantee for certain of their locks that if your bike is stolen while using one of those locks they'll replace your bike.  But you have to register the lock and the bike - which I didn't do.  So next time, I will be doing that.  I filed a police report and we do have security cameras around, so my bike might turn up, but I am not hopeful.  Just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another bike.  *sigh*

What's going on?

It's always a bit of a downer to come home from a Story Pirates tour.  I was able to spend a couple of extra days in Salt Lake visiting with family and friends before coming back to LA and that was really nice.  Andrew took me and my friend Clark on a tour of the tunnels etc. in and around Temple Square.  We got to see all of the cool places where he works (because the floral department of the church is sort of spread to the far reaches of the temple square complex) and where they store all of the silk flowers they use for various and sundry things.  It's an impressive sight - the flowers, and the complex.

I finished another puzzle this week.  2,000 pieces!  Though one went missing.  However, it's a huge puzzle, with a lot of pieces, and it's been sitting out on my desk for weeks, so I'm honestly a little surprised to have only lost one.  Still, kind of annoying.



What I'm reading

Jumped into this gem.  It feels a bit like "The Secret" or other books of that ilk, but I think it has some good things to say.  It's been on my list for a while, and I got a copy for Christmas, so I decided it was time to give it a go.
What I'm watching


Crazy documentary on Netflix about an Idaho girl who was kidnapped by her neighbor - twice!  Definitely worth a watch.  I think it speaks a lot to the double-edged sword of the trusting nature of members of the church, and also to some of the dangerous myths that still surround child abuse.  Fun fact - I sort of know the woman who it happened to!  We performed in the Neil Simon Festival in Cedar City the same summer.

What I'm listening to

RadioWest and A Thoughtful Faith both did followup episodes about this story that add some more context to the situation than what is possible in a 90 minute film covering 7 years.  It really is such a fascinating story that I think can teach us a lot about human nature, forgiveness, and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment