Sunday, March 11, 2012

Advice from the call center.

So, my "day job" is working on the receiving end of an infomercial phone line.  Glamorous, I know.  But seriously, it's a great company to work for, they pay me too well, and the schedule can't be beat.  Plus, because of employee perks, I might have a 6-pack for the first time in my life by the time summer rolls around.  Look out Dockweiler Beach, you're not ready for this farmer-tanned, hair-covered goodness.


But I digress.


I've picked up a few helpful tidbits should any of you ever have the desire to call in on an infomercial.  It will speed up the process and provide a friendly, pleasant experience for all involved.


#1 -
Speak loudly and clearly.  The trend these days is to mumble and speak in soft tones.  Not helpful.  I need to hear what you're saying, and if I can't I'm going to ask you to repeat yourself until I can.  Just start out speaking loudly enough and you'll save us both a lot of trouble.  On that same note - if I say something like, "I'm having trouble hearing you" and there's nothing wrong with your end of things i.e. you're not on the speakerphone etc., that's your cue to speak up.


#2 -
Be friendly.  I have to deal with grumpy, brusque people all day.  Don't be one of them.  You don't have to buy everything I'm trying to sell you, but don't get bent out of shape that I'm selling you stuff.  It's my job.  You can't honestly say that you didn't know it was going to happen, so just be pleasant and help take my stress level down a couple of notches.  If you're going to be grumpy, just buy it online.


#3 -
If you have a name that is not spelled in a normal way, just spell it out.  Don't expect me to know how to spell it.  Especially if it's a name like Ashley or Jason, but you spell it "Ashleigh" or "Jaysen".  If I ask you your name and you just say, "Jason", I'm going to assume you spell it the normal way.
(Funny story here.  I had a guy called in, I asked his name and he said, "R-O-Y Klophenstein".  Why on Earth he felt the need to spell "Roy" but not "Klophenstein" is beyond me.)


Thanks in advance.  May all your infomercialing* be successful.


*Don't get the pajama jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment